22 Top Grossing and Best of Lao Tzu Quotes You Must Read
You all must have, once in your lives, heard this name, Lao Tzu, but probably a few know that he is called Laozi too, which translates in English to “Old Master”. And true to the meaning of his name, Laozi has taught the world the philosophy that not just anyone could.
He belonged to the ancient era of philosophy and he advocated for Taoism school of Chinese Philosophy.
Read our compilation of Ralph Waldo Emerson too.
Some of the greatest quotes by the Old Master here
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
“Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”
“Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.”
- “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
- “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.”
- “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”
- “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.”
- “Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.”
- “The best fighter is never angry.”
- “The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth.”
- “Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.”
- “Time is a created thing. To say ‘I don’t have time,’ is like saying, ‘I don’t want to.”
- “A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.”
- “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
- “If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
- “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
- “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.”
- “Silence is a source of Great Strength.”
- “Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.”
- “At the center of your being
you have the answer;
you know who you are
and you know what you want.”
- “Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?”
Laozi is assumed to be the author of the book ‘Daodejing’, a sacred book of Daoism. He is worshipped by the people as a God and admired as a philosopher by many. Whether a God or a philosopher, his teachings were certainly something because people still look up to him.